Sunday 22 January 2012

Dubizzle

I'm in Dubai at the moment with work and will be here for the next two weeks. The weather is actually surprisingly bad here - temperatures are still around 15 degrees, but it's very cloudy and windy. Frankly I think most Londoners would still bite your hand off for a day like this at the moment, but the Dubai government has apparently issued severe weather warnings and everyone's walking around with a slightly scandalised expression.

Anyway I had to do a long run yesterday and decided against going outside. I didn't want to face the heat and I wasn't really sure where would be a good place to run - Dubai isn't exactly set up for pedestrians and every road is a 6-lane highway. So I stuck to the treadmill, which was dull and tedious for 2 hours 20 minutes, but comfortable and a good way to educate myself about pace-setting. I have a tendency to go faster than I should at the start when I'm outside; on the treadmill I was running slightly slower than normal, which felt weird but meant that I did my 18k with very few walking breaks and felt comfortable throughout.

Nonetheless, I would like to do a bit of running around Dubai, and by happy coincidence it's the Dubai Marathon next weekend, with a 10k race alongside it. I'm going to sign up. It starts at 7am so should still be relatively cool. It'll be my first ever race! Exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment