Monday 14 November 2011

The Spectator

I haven't been able to run for a whole week now. After my 4-mile one a week ago today, my right leg seized up somewhat. I've had quite a lot of pain around both my ankles and the back of my right knee in particular.

Various friends recommended that I rest up, so I gave myself a week off. Things have definitely improved. Not quite back to normal yet, but getting there.

I'm going to try a gentle run on the treadmill tomorrow. According to the training plan I should be tackling a 5-miler, but we'll see how it goes. I'll have to do loads of stretching afterwards and maybe whack some ice on my knee if it's bad. We have an in-house physio at work who I can visit if it all gets a bit too much.

In other news, I went to watch my boyfriend run Survival of the Fittest on Saturday. Some pics are below.

It's a 10k run, taking place in and around Battersea Power Station. You have to do various un-fun obstacles along the course, like hauling yourself along scaffolding monkey bars, jumping hay bales and wading through skips full of icy cold muddy water.

It looked horrific. The poor people running it were obviously clinically insane, because all of them were smiling and laughing as they went round, rather than weeping, shaking and faking injury like any normal person would do.

J did it in 54 minutes which seems ridiculously, unfeasibly fast to me. He was in the top 15%, which I guess means most people do it in a more manageable time.

Once he'd crossed the finished line, I made him come with me to the discounted running gear tent, where I celebrated his fantastic achievement by forcing him to wait for me, wrapped in his foil blanket, while I selected some new sporty leggings and a top.

Just need to actually manage another run now!




No comments:

Post a Comment