Saturday 29 October 2011

First outdoors run

I just did my first outdoor run. Well, my first outdoor training run. I have run outside before - in fact I've run the route I did today before. It's just more heavily laden with meaning now that I'm training for an actual marathon.

I ran from my house in Borough down to Bermondsey, along Bermondsey Street up to Tooley Street, down the river past Tower Bridge to Shad Thames and then back along the river to London Bridge, then home.

I covered 2.9 miles in 38 minutes. What's interesting (to me, I mean ... "interesting" is perhaps over-doing it a bit) is that I walked a lot today, but still did the same distance in exactly the same time as on the treadmill. This suggests that I'm running faster outside than I do on the treadmill, but get tired more easily and therefore need to walk more. I'm going to try and keep upping my treadmill speed next week.

It was a lovely day for a run. Clear skies and sunshine with a strong breeze. I'm really glad I went. But even as I was turning my face gratefully towards the sun, I felt a chill of foreboding for those February days when it doesn't stop pissing it down, and I'm going to be heading out for a 16 mile run. Eeek.

No comments:

Post a Comment